Thursday, August 27, 2009

Not your average sing-a-long

When it comes to music, I'll listen to—and appreciate—just about anything. But recently, I heard something a little disturbing. This Kidz Bop commercial is in frequent rotation on an online radio station I listen to. And I’m telling ya…the sound of it nearly makes my ears bleed.

Kidz Bop involves a bunch of kids recording a compilation of today’s pop music hits: "Sung by kids, for kids."

Now, I'm all for singing kids. How can you not smile at the little singers belting out Disney show tunes at their school concert (while simultaneously mastering the "step touch" and other complex choreography)? And my heart melts when I hear the children's choir at church singing (or sometimes screaming) about how Jesus love them. In fact, my big claim to fame is that you can hear my young singing voice on the Christmas edition of G.T. and the Halo Express…stocking stuffer anyone?

But Kidz Bop is different. Basically, here's the concept… take the most obnoxiously overplayed songs on the radio, sung by role models like Britney Spears and the Black-Eyed Peas, toss in a few borderline inappropriate lyrics and market this to children. Brilliant. It obviously works if they’re now promoting the 16th edition of this album.

I’m not trying to sound like a prude. I'm certainly known to turn up some Britney in my car during my rush hour drive home. And I know there isn’t a whole lot of choice when it comes to kids' music, but I'm just sayin…

Am I the only one who finds this album a little cringe worthy?

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I've never heard of this before, but that commercial kind of sucks you in (in a "so bad it's good" sort of way). I probably would have liked it when I was a kid. I wonder what cheesy product I can come up with that will cause kids everywhere to beg their parents to fork over $20 for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides the lyrics, I just think that the music quality isn't good. There is plenty of good music out there to listen to without resorting to bad covers of pop music. One of my prized memories(and we have it on video) is my toddler aged daughter rocking out to and singing along with "Shine" by the Newsboys. Precious, and music that will not cause your ears to bleed.

    ReplyDelete