Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Finding rest

Today I'm enjoying my first day off work in almost three months. And boy do I know how to pick 'em! Rain, snow, cold and hurricane-force winds are in the forecast. But for some reason that excites me. Because now I won't feel the least bit guilty about just resting. I'm not running errands like a crazy person or feeling I need to be ultra-efficient. Today, my idea of productivity is reading a book, trying a new recipe and, if I'm lucky, squeezing in a nap before I head to church for the evening and then back to work for a couple more busy days.

I've been reminded lately that I'm always in a bit of a hurry. I'm constantly looking at my watch. I drive fast, I work fast, and sometimes I even rush through important moments with friends and family. This fall I even came to the startling realization that, when I'm feeling rushed at work, I actually hold my breath! I told my co-workers that if they find me passed out at my desk that may be why!

I recently finished a book and study through my church called One Month to Live: 30 Days to a No Regrets Life. It offered some good insight about dealing with change and the storms of life, and pursuing your dreams. I'll admit, I thought parts of the book were pretty cliché, but there were some wise truths in it too—particularly as it relates to realigning our priorities and our will with God’s. The writer says: God has given us enough time to get done everything He wants us to do. If we rest in this knowledge and trust Him for what must be accomplished each day, our inner striving fades as we rely more on His plans.

Rest and trust. Two things I’m finding I need a little work on these days. And I'm starting now! How about you? How do you make sure your priorities—including the need to rest—are getting the attention they need?

3 comments:

  1. Love the image included in this post.
    For me, it seems lately that I’ve got too much time, away from work that is. I feel that I’m wasting time if I’m not doing something productive or self-fulfilling.................. I need a pasion or pursuit. I’ve thought about learning the piano again (I say again only because I took lessons as a kid)or learning a second language. But then I think, why learn the piano; I’m certainly not going to be playing for anyone, and I don’t really want to hear myself. Or, why learn a second language, who am I going to talk to?
    Maybe: I should take piano lessons, learn a second language and then when people hear me play, I can speak the second language and they’ll feel sorry for, and be more understanding of, this poor immigrant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, you need to go for it. Piano, or foreign language, or both. You don't have to wait for the perfect "this is what I've always wanted to do" passion to come along. Just try something! If you try it and don't like it or don't want to stick with it, who cares?!

    I just signed up to take snowboarding lessons in December. I may never snowboard again after the lessons are over, but I figure, at least it's trying something new. Maybe I'll be surprised and really like it (but I'm keeping my expectations low).

    And by the way, I like the immigrant approach...hehehehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Dave, this must mean you have finally mastered the great game of golf. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete