Saturday, January 2, 2010

Laughing at the stuff we like

Each new year promises new opportunities to laugh at ourselves...and I like that! A couple of authors have helped us out in that regard by highlighting some stereotypes that will either make you laugh or make you hang your head in embarassement (most likely the former).

A few months ago a friend told me about the blog turned book, Stuff White People Like, which is a satirical look at the white middle class. Now, another blogger has made laughing at myself even easier with a spin-off blog (and soon-to-be book) called, Stuff Christians Like.

I like to think that when people see Christians they first notice the love of Jesus, but I have a feeling a lot of people first see the kooky Christian culture stuff that generally makes us look like dorks (like the evangelizing t-shirts or, let's face it, even some of "our" music). Mind you, I'm quite fond of some of a lot of Christian stuff, but it's still pretty humorous (and maybe a little disappointing) to think of how we're viewed by mainstream culture or even by each other.

You should check out the blog for yourself to learn more about things Christians like, such as: the metrosexual worship leader, not knowing what do to with Santa, the side hug, awkward opposite sex friendships, surviving the church as a single or married couple without kids, wishing there were a Christian version of Lady Gaga, and The Shack.

Enjoy some good laughs in 2010...even if it's at your own expense!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. We had a blast reading a lot of these tonight and laughing like crazy. Thanks for passing this on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! In reading old posts of the SCL blog, I'm highly disappointed that I missed my chance to enter the contest to win an autographed "unecessary scarf" from my favorite metrosexual worship leader, Chris Tomlin. LOL! http://stuffchristianslike.net/2009/12/win-an-autographed-unnecessary-scarf-from-chris-tomlin/

    ReplyDelete