Saturday, February 6, 2010

Happy holidays?

February is a somewhat challenging time of year for me. Not only are we in the doldrums of winter, but there are no holidays in sight. Oh sure, there are days to celebrate presidents, Valentines, St. Paddy, etc. But what I’m really lacking is a holiday that gives me the day off of work. There is something wrong about not having a single company holiday between New Year’s Day and Memorial Day; it must be punishment for taking time off around Christmas. Anyway, while I may not have any company holidays on the horizon, I am trying to cheer myself up with a few zany holidays instead:

  • I just missed Hula in the Coola Day on February 1, which encourages people to party like it’s July, ditch winter wear and don some summer gear
  • Next week is National Jell-O week, so perhaps I’ll celebrate by eating that slightly slimy treat (particularly the weird kind my grandma made with the fruit pieces stuck in the gelatin mold)
  • February 13 is Change Your Name Day, which means all the Jennys of the world can go by something a bit more original. I’m going Hollywood crazy and am choosing the name Poppy Honey.
  • February 14 is known for Valentine’s Day, but it’s also National Call in Single Day. So, all my single ladies should take the day off! (Oh wait, that’s a Sunday anyway…bummer.)
  • February 20 is Northern Hemisphere Hoodie-Hoo Day, where we’re all supposed to yell “Hoodie-Hoo” at noon to scare off winter. (Hey, I’ll try anything at this point.)

So, I encourage you to jump on board and celebrate something silly this month. Is there something you've always wished had it's own holiday? Why not make it so? I think it’s healthy…helping us keep our sanity for another month!

No comments:

Post a Comment