Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Awesome 80s Flashback

Have you noticed that every once and a while something random comes along that uncovers something from the hidden depths of your memory? For me, it was hearing a brief news report that The Jets are going to be having a reunion concert in Minneapolis this Friday. Please tell me you remember The Jets and their 80s hit, “Crush on You.”

Anyway, I’m sure this group has not crossed my mind in about 20 years, but with one mention of their name, I was taken back to a screaming Metrodome arena where The Jets were the special guest act at a Girl Scout convention I attended. (Oh yeah, you read that right: Girl Scout convention. Top that!) I can hear thousands of elementary school girls chanting, “We want The Jets. We want The Jets.” In fact, now that I think about it, that was probably the first “concert” I attended. Here all this time I thought it had been Michael W. Smith and DC Talk, but no, it had to have been The Jets.

I bet you didn’t know that The Jets (who were siblings) were only the oldest eight in a Mormon family with 17 children. That kind of makes them the R&B Osmonds!

Ah, the 80s…unforgettable music and fashion, plus great cultural icons like Pac-Man and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Those were the days. It’s just a shame I’ll be out of town for The Jets’ big gig this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Those were good times. But who actually goes to The Jets' reunion concert?! Of all the bands we'd like to see reunite, I'm not sure about these guys. Good for them I guess! And thanks for bringing up Girl Scouts...now I want a Thin Mint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were good times. But who actually goes to The Jets' reunion concert?! Of all the bands we'd like to see reunite, I'm not sure about these guys. Good for them I guess! And thanks for bringing up Girl Scouts...now I want a Thin Mint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have your answer as to what you can spend your itunes gift cards on! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thin mints in my freezer! I loved the Jets!

    ReplyDelete